Canada entry


                                CANADA ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

                                     DWI OR DUI - Driving convictions.
                         Thinking about traveling to Canada?  You'd better reconsider if you have been convicted of DWI or DUI ( Driving While Impaired or Driving Under the Influence)
                         within the last ten years.  It's the Canadian Criminal Code definition of impaired driving which is used to determinethe severity of your conviction - even if it was a
                         misdememeanor under local law, it may be considered more serious by Canadian standards. Canadian law considers impared driving a serious offence and this
                         attitude is also held by most Canadians
      Routine screening upon entry into Canada includes the question, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?"  If you have been convicted of impaired driving - even
                         if no collsion was involved - you may be deined entrance.  Even with no other criminal violations. Think carefully.  Don't lie about any convictions regardless of how "trivial".
                        This is especially true if you are entering from the U.S. Increased cooperation between Canada and the U.S. as part of post-911 security measures, means that the border
                        agent could already have access to criminal records.  Lying/forgrtting about a conviction could get you barred from entry into Canada for many years.
     A person with a conviction may be deemed rehabilitated and be eligible after a certain period has expired from the completion of the sentence imposed (Which would include any
                       driving suspension) on the conviction.  depending on the offence, this period may be as short as 5 years or as long as 10 years.  If a person cannot qualify for deemed rehabilitation,
                       they  may apply for individual criminal rehabilitation.
                       A person may not apply for criminal rehabilitation for 5 years following the orginial conviction (note the difference with deemedrehabilitation where the period begins
                       with the completion of the sentence).  After this five-year waiting period (assuming the person has not been convicted of another offence) Americans 
                       (for example) can apply for "criminal rehabilitation" by submitting the following:
                              1. An application form IMM 1444E
                              2. A passport size photograph
                              3. A copy of your passport data pages
                              4. An FBI policw certificate
                              5. A state poloce certificate
                              6. Copies of court documents indicationg the charge, section of law violated, the verdict, and sentencing
                              7. Proof of completed sentence, paid fines, court cost, ordered treatments, etc.
                              8. Copies of the text of the law decribing the offence
                              9. Detailed explanation of the circumstances surrounding the offence
                             10. Three letters of reference from responsible citizens
                             11. A non-refundable processing fee of $180 USD.
     Further information can be found at Citizenship and Immigration Canada's webpages Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility.

                             This page up dated 6-27-2017